Dramatically improve your Caster Yield by consistently cutting the optimal length
Existing contact length measurement methods such as contact encoders are susceptible to slippage, wear & tear, changing rolls or wheel diameter, resulting in the long term, unpredictable variations of length and speed measurement. These issues are particularly challenging when trying to measure hot billets and slabs. In short, contact devices measure their rotational motion, which is not necessarily the strand’s motion. Because of this uncertainty, contact length measurement techniques deliver cut length tolerances in the range of ±30mm to ±50mm (±1″ to ±2″). Logika’s Non-Contact CMOS Camera based CTL system directly measures the strand’s motion and provides the highest level of accuracy and repeatability to the control system for cut length control and tracking.
The system uses dynamic image recognition technology to detect and display the status of the billet/slab online. Digital cameras installed beside or above the torch cut table collect high speed, high resolution images of the end of the target material over the cut length range, which are processed in the cut controller. An Image recognition module calculates the actual billet/slab length and speed, and displays the billet/slab position on the screen simultaneously. It also triggers the torch cutting equipment when the pre-set cutting lengths are reached.
LOGIKA’S CCD CAMERA BASED CUT TO LENGTH Features and Function
- The system can identify when the hot billet/slab target length is reached and trigger the torch cut machine to clamp and cut accurately. Moreover, it can also detect the slab position and speed as intermediate process data.
- Easy to store and modify length cutting parameters, either manually or via remote setup from a host computer.
- The monitor displays the real-time status of hot material and related parameters, including individual average casting speed, cut number of each strand, all strands total cut number and total yield.
- The operator can use the keyboard and mouse to adjust parameters, fine-tuning each strand’s cutting length separately.
- The cut to length software has product management functions, such as counting the number of cuts, overall length over the specified time, theoretical weight calculation, and more.
- The system provides a ModBus-TCP communication interface (other protocols optionally available)
- Optional integration with Logika Laser Distance Meters can allow for dynamic compensation of variation in the torch cut machine home position.
High Dynamic Range Machine Vision Cameras, 5 MP, Cat5e, POE
Double Wall Stainless Steel enclosure, 360°purged sapphire window, vortex air-cooled
Communication via ModBus-TCP
Discrete Signal output:
– Two relay outputs for each strand,
– one for Pre-cut signal (clamp command)
– one for Cut signal
System and the camera average working temperature: ≤ 70°C.
Power supply: 85VAC – 240VAC
Camera installation requirement: No obstruction between target and cameras’ field of view
(Consult our Applications Engineers for assistance with determining optimal configuration and camera placement)